Estimate of satellite vs. Land-based traffic

Paul Donner pdonner at cisco.com
Wed Jan 7 03:14:14 UTC 2009

Jeffrey,

While technically you are correct, I would say that you probably should
also add a category for mobile communications LAND/SEA/AIR.  The traffic
for these will be increasing in time as vendors are starting to put
switches and routers on-board spacecraft making applications that were
once borderline, because of delay, more acceptable.  Depending on what
you are doing (eg. comm between two satellite ground stations, mobile or
stationary) the application can benefit from from reduced RTT due to
this innovation.  One-way delay would thus be about 250ms.  This is
greater than the generally accepted 150ms for a voice call but with good
voice quality 250ms is not bad.  This of course is based on GEO sats.
LEO or MEO satellites are much closer to the earth so the delay would be
less but they present a whole host of other complexities.

While satellites will probably never come close to the volume of
ground-based comm, they will cater to niche markets, military, mobile
and disadvantaged users.

WRT Kevin's query, if you are concerned about a solar incident and it's
affects on satcom, you might want to take a look at what user base (e.g.
which mobile users and what impact loss of comm will have on what they
are doing) is affected rather than understanding the volumes that are
affected as this might provide a much more thorough understanding of any
impact.  But that is merely my two cents worth.

-Donner