Ethical DDoS drone network

Edward B. DREGER eddy+public+spam at noc.everquick.net
Wed Jan 7 01:40:13 UTC 2009

RD> Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 08:50:46 +0800
RD> From: Roland Dobbins

RD> > I've seen _many_ routing problems appear in large WANs that simply
RD> > can't be replicated with fewer than a hundred or even a thousand
RD> > routers.

RD> Users can simulate many of these conditions themselves using various

many != all

It appears to be a question of what incremental benefit does one gain
from real-world testing?

RD> open-source and commercial tools, which've been available for many
RD> years.

I think that everyone agrees: No live testing until "adequate" lab
testing has been performed.  The disagreement seems to be over when/if
live testing is necessary, and how much.

Because it just wouldn't be a NANOG thread without analogies *grin*, I
offer the following: drug certification, aircraft certification,
automobile crash testing, database benchmarking.

Even when a system is highly deterministic, such as a database, one
still expects _real-world_ testing.  Traffic flows on large networks are
highly stochastic... and this includes OPNs, which I posit are futile to
attempt to model.

RD> And again, it comes back to understanding the performance envelope
RD> of one's equipment, even without simulation.

Very true.  If one deploys an OSPF-happy network thinking that it scales
O(n), one is in for a rude shock.

Eddy
--
Everquick Internet - http://www.everquick.net/
A division of Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - http://www.brotsman.com/
davidc at brics.com -*- jfconmaapaq at intc.net -*- sam at everquick.net
Ditto for broken OOO autoresponders and foolish AV software backscatter.