v6 & DSL / Cable modems [was: Private use of non-RFC1918 IP space (IPv6-MW)]

John Schnizlein schnizlein at isoc.org
Thu Feb 5 22:00:12 UTC 2009

On 2009Feb4, at 8:56 PM, TJ wrote:

> However, many do not "have" DHCPv6 ... WinXP, MacOS, etc. are not
> capable.

Maybe upgrades, service packs and updates will make them capable of
using DHCPv6 for useful functions such as finding the address of an
available name server by the time IPv6-only networks are in operation.

> Also - does DHCPv6 currently have an option for prefix length?  Just
> asking.

I did not see this answered in the long thread.  The answer is No,
prefix length comes in the Router Advertisement.

John