Arrogant RBL list maintainers

Steven Champeon schampeo at hesketh.com
Thu Dec 10 16:00:30 UTC 2009

on Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 10:48:05AM -0500, Michael Holstein wrote:
> Like many places, we run seperate internal and external DNS .. when a
> user requests a static IP, they can opt to make it "external", but few
> do, since we point out that when they do that, they loose the anonymity
> of the "generic" rDNS.
>
> An internal DNS entry might look like :
> lastname-modelnumber.router.building.csuohio.edu
> While the external entry might look like : csu-137-148-19-3.csuohio.edu

At least at one point in 2003, you also used, eg

finance137-148-212-227.dhcp.csuohio.edu [137.148.212.227]

which kindly pointed out that the IP was dynamically assigned (or at
least suggested it, I know DHCP can push statics, too). I have the
pattern for the csu-n-n-n-n.csuohio.edu naming convention above marked
as 'static/lan' - should I have this down as 'natproxy/unknown' instead?
Or 'static/unknown'? Or 'static/wan'? I'm a bit confused by what it
means to have an "internal" static public IP, I guess. Or are you saying
that they have the option of making their chosen internal name also
visible via external DNS lookups, with all IPs being public just not
all visible via custom names to the outside?

--
hesketh.com/inc. v: +1(919)834-2552 f: +1(919)834-2553 w: http://hesketh.com/
antispam news and intelligence to help you stop spam: http://enemieslist.com/