So I've got this 2.5gig wave, what do I do with it?

Kevin Hunt khunt at huntbrothers.com
Fri Apr 17 16:27:38 UTC 2009

On 4/16/09 6:34 PM, "will at loopfree.net" <will at loopfree.net> wrote:

> Due to the vagaries of telecom pricing, I've ended up with a 2.5gig
> wavelength service between two locations when what I really wanted was a
> gig-e or two.
>
> I'm really not sure if this is a "transparent" wave service or not...
> the carrier is using gear from Ciena to hand it off to us and they seem
> to be big on transparent waves, so maybe it is, but nobody seems to be
> able to say for sure.

We use these types of circuits and I manage several others for clients.
Every time I turn one up I make sure I talk to an engineer and ask if they
are expecting a 2.5Gig signal and just going to use transponders to put my
1310nm signal into a DWDM color send it to the other side, and transponder
it back to 1310nm.  They've always said that's exactly what they are doing.

I used Cerent 15454 (now Cisco) w/ Oc48 IR 1310 cards facing the wave, and
proper cross connect and Gig cards (carefull here) facing my gig switches.
Shoot me an off list message and I'll help you w/ the ins and outs and share
the costs we budget for such.
I haven't used MRV but they look appealing, would love to hear other folks
experience with them as I'm about to have to turn another two of these up...

--

W. Kevin Hunt
CCIE #11841