Fiber cut in SF area

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Mon Apr 13 16:12:43 UTC 2009

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009, Dylan Ebner wrote:

> Manhole locks are just going to stop vandalism, and I think the threat
> to obstruction calculation just doesn't add up for that small level of
> isolated cases.

It doesn't stop it, it just makes it slightly harder, and they'll go after
another point.

<http://swm.pp.se/bayarea.jpg>

This is the bay area as well... How long do you need to spend with a torch
to cut thru that? A couple of minutes?

There is absolutely no way you can stop a determined attacker, and it
would increase cost a lot more than it's worth. Time is better spent
stopping the few people who actually do these kinds of things, same way as
it's not worth it for regular people to wear body armour all the time,
just in case they might get shot, or have parachutes and emergency exits
that work in mid-flight on commercial airliners. The various police
agencies and the NTSB cost less in a cost/benefit analysis.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se