Fiber cut in SF area

Andy Ringsmuth andyring at inebraska.com
Mon Apr 13 16:28:38 UTC 2009

On Apr 13, 2009, at 11:12 AM, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

>> Manhole locks are just going to stop vandalism, and I think the
>> threat
>> to obstruction calculation just doesn't add up for that small level
>> of
>> isolated cases.
>
> It doesn't stop it, it just makes it slightly harder, and they'll go
> after another point.

IMHO, I think manhole locks would only serve to HEIGHTEN the threat,
not minimize it.  Flag this under the whole "obscurity" category, but
think about this - if you're a vandal itching to do something stupid,
and you see a bunch of manhole covers and a couple of them have locks
on them, which ones are you going to target?  The ones with the locks,
of course.  Why?  Because by the very existence of the locks, it
implies there's something of considerable value beyond the lock.

-Andy