Catalyst 6500 High Switch Proc

Philip L. phil at mindfury.net
Sat Nov 15 21:35:28 UTC 2008

Hello.

I've run into a bit of a snag and I hope some folks here may be able to
enlighten.  From time to time I check the 'sh platform hardware
capacity' command on our Catalyst 6509s and have noticed this item:

CPU Resources
  CPU utilization: Module             5 seconds       1 minute       5
minutes
                   5  RP               1% /  0%
3%              4%
                   5  SP              82% / 27%
62%             73%

This is shown on two 6509 switches that we operate as Core layer
devices.  This value goes up to 85-90% during periods of peak traffic
and I'm concerned that this may be a problem.

Checking 'sh proc cpu' is usually 10% or less.

I've gone over this document backwards and forwards and none of the
situations outlined seem to apply here:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a00804916e0.shtml

One thing to note, is that our main ACL for ingress traffic is applied
here due to historical reasons.  It's roughly 5000 single host entries
at present.  We also use these devices for NDE.

I'm probably missing some other key details, but what could influence
the SP like this?  Any insight would be appreciated.

--
Philip L.