Catalyst 6500 High Switch Proc

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Sat Nov 15 21:57:38 UTC 2008

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008, Philip L. wrote:

> I've run into a bit of a snag and I hope some folks here may be able to
> enlighten.  From time to time I check the 'sh platform hardware capacity'
> command on our Catalyst 6509s and have noticed this item:
>
> CPU Resources
> CPU utilization: Module             5 seconds       1 minute       5 minutes
>                  5  RP               1% /  0%             3%              4%
>                  5  SP              82% / 27%            62%             73%
>
> This is shown on two 6509 switches that we operate as Core layer devices.
> This value goes up to 85-90% during periods of peak traffic and I'm concerned
> that this may be a problem.
>
> Checking 'sh proc cpu' is usually 10% or less.
>
> I've gone over this document backwards and forwards and none of the
> situations outlined seem to apply here:
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a00804916e0.shtml
>
> One thing to note, is that our main ACL for ingress traffic is applied here
> due to historical reasons.  It's roughly 5000 single host entries at present.
> We also use these devices for NDE.

This should probably be on cisco-nsp rather than nanog, but...

5000 lines for ACL?  I don't have any experience with ACLs of that size,
but it sounds like a possible problem.

If you're doing netflow export and not doing sampled netflow, I'm guessing
this is where your problem is.  sh mls netflow table-contention detailed
might be able to confirm or rule this out.

  Jon Lewis                   |  I route
  Atlantic Net                |