IPv6 on SOHO routers?

Bernhard Schmidt berni at birkenwald.de
Fri Mar 14 00:22:29 UTC 2008

David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> wrote:

> FWIW, I had reason to go over to a local Fry's (www.frys.com) and they
> had 2 SOHO routers that claimed to have IPv6 support:
>
> Linksys RVS4000 for $119.99
> Linksys WRVS4400 for $209.99
>
> No idea how well they support IPv6...

Looked at the manual, the only thing I could find regarding IPv6
connectivity was an option

IP Versions
 * IPv4 Only. This option utilizes IPv4 on the Internet and local
   network
 * Dual-Stack IP. This option utilizes IPv4 over the Internet and IPv4
   and IPv6 on the local network.

No support for native connectivity on the WAN side apparently and no
user-defined tunnels, so my guess is 6to4. Odd that you can manually
specify the LAN IPv6 address, but well. Latest firmware readme talks
about 6to4-only as well.

Apple Airport Extreme can do 6to4 and manual proto-41 at least, the only
other commercial SOHO product I could find that (according to the
data-sheet) supports IPv6 is the Buffalo WZR-AG300NH. No hit in the
(very brief) manual or the knowledge base though, so no idea how far
this support is going.

Best bet is still a WRT54G with OpenWRT :-\

Bernhard