IPv6 on SOHO routers?

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Wed Mar 12 20:38:24 UTC 2008

In a message written on Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 03:06:24PM -0500, Frank Bulk - iNAME wrote:
> Furthermore, he stated that networking equipment companies like Cisco will
> be moving away from IPv4 in 5 years or so.  This is the first time I've
> heard this posited -- I had a hard believing that, but he claims it with
> some authority.  Anyone hear anything like this?  My own opinion is that
> we'll see dual-stack for at least a decade or two to come.

ISP's are very good at one thing, driving out unnecessary cost.
Running dual stack increases cost.  While I'm not sure about the 5
year part, I'm sure ISP's will move to disable IPv4 support as soon
as the market will let them as a cost saving measure.  Runing for
"decades" dual stacked does not make a lot of economic sense for
all involved.