IPv6 on SOHO routers?

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Wed Mar 12 20:38:11 UTC 2008

On Mar 12, 2008, at 1:06 PM, Frank Bulk - iNAME wrote:
> Slightly off-topic, but tangentially related that I'll dare to ask.
>
> I'm attending an "Emerging Communications" course where the instructor
> stated that there are SOHO routers that natively support IPv6,

<http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=33DD138B&fnode=home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/networking&nplm=MB053LL/A

There are a couple of other boxes I noticed recently at Fry's (in the
SF Bay Area) that claimed IPv6 support on the box, but I have no idea
how real those claims are.

> Furthermore, he stated that networking equipment companies like
> Cisco will
> be moving away from IPv4 in 5 years or so.  This is the first time
> I've
> heard this posited -- I had a hard believing that, but he claims it
> with
> some authority.  Anyone hear anything like this?  My own opinion is
> that
> we'll see dual-stack for at least a decade or two to come.

I suspect you should back away slowly from anyone who suggests IPv4 is
going to go away within 5 years.

Regards,
-drc