P2P agents for software distribution - saving the WAN from meltdown?!?

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Wed Jun 18 15:06:12 UTC 2008

On Jun 18, 2008, at 10:42 AM, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008, Christopher Morrow wrote:
>
>> most of the larger free-nix's do BT downloads on release day(s).
>> Revision3 distributes their content via BT. There were rumors of
>> Disney and Apple moving to BT models for their content distribution
>> at
>> one point as well.
>
> <random type="idea from tonight">
> If only there was a way for a SP to run a BitTorrent type service for
> their clients, subscribing the BT server(s) to known-good (ie, not
> warez-y)
> torrents pre-seeded from trusted sources and then leaving it the hell
> alone and not having to continuously dump specific torrent files into
> it.
> </random>

Ah, if only there was a way for my SP to go and look all over the web
and figure out what pages are acceptable for me to browse and block
out all of the other stuff like porn and warez and phishing --- and
other objectionable content like creationism / evolution [delete
whichever is appropriate ], those bastard [insert your least favorite
ethnic / religious group here ] and any mention of [insert political
party]..... Oh, and anything to do with clowns, they freak me out...

Yes, P2P is not the web, but the general principle still applies -- I
don't think that handing over the censorship keys to my ISP is a
reasonable solution...

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick
to anger.