P2P agents for software distribution - saving the WAN from meltdown?!?

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Wed Jun 18 22:22:28 UTC 2008

Nathan Ward wrote:
> There was a product around that would keep track of torrents and fudge
> the tracker responses to direct you to on-net peers where possible. Not
> sure what it's called. Inline box thing, much like Sandvine, Allot, etc.
> I imagine you could either inject the details of a local seed you're
> running, or keep track of on-net users and inject those.

Out of curiosity, how many SPs out there have local Akamai servers on
their network?  I inquired about it last Fall and our average bandwidth
to Akamai wasn't enough at the time to warrant placing hardware on our
site, from their perspective anyway.  The bandwidth though accounted for
roughly 1/10th of our overall bandwidth.  I wonder what it would be
today.  Our Internet bandwidth is just over 4x what it was last Fall.

Justin