Paul Vixie: Re: [dns-operations] DNS issue accidentally leaked?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Jul 24 21:31:01 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 1:14 PM, Paul Vixie <vixie at isc.org> wrote:
> and if you have time after that, write a letter to your congressman about the
> importance of DNSSEC, which sucks green weenies, and is a decade late, and
> which has no business model, but which the internet absolutely dearly needs.

Ok.  I'm just a small-edge-networks weenie; IANAI, or anything else
big like all that.  So I usually try to listen more than I talk.

But it seems to me that Paul, you are here espousing the opinion that
there's no business value in people being able to trust that the domain
name they heard on a TV ad and typed into a browser (let's ignore phishing
for the moment) actually takes them to E-Trade, and not RBN.

Am I misunderstanding you?

Cause I see business value in trying to perpetuate that condition.

I don't say it's easy to sell to suits.  But that doesn't make it
unnecessary.

I also don't say it's the only way to guarantee that trustability.  But
what else have you?

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.