v6 gluelessness

Bruce Campbell bc-nanog at vicious.dropbear.id.au
Sat Jan 19 22:52:32 UTC 2008

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008, David Conrad wrote:

> Randy,
>
> On Jan 18, 2008, at 5:07 PM, Randy Bush wrote:
>> but, in actual fact, this does not change the ccTLD's zone file or date one
>> bit. the request is to add a AAAA RR to the existing A RR *for my server*
>> in the root zone to act as glue.
>
> The key term here is "root zone".  As you are undoubtedly aware, there are
> those who treat the contents of the root zone (including glue) as sanctified
> ground that may only be tread upon after a ritual purification, sacrifice of
> numerous virgin chickens, etc.  Or something like that.

>> the iana publishes data about one of *my* servers.  these data have become
>> erroneous by omission. i am merely asking that they be fixed.
>
> Understood.  And current policy requires IANA to get explicit agreement from
> the AC and TC that they approve that fix (even though they are not directly
> responsible).  As much as I might wish otherwise, IANA (in the layer 9 world
> it occupies) can't unilaterally change that policy.

Once you realise that layer-9 issues are the sticking factor, you quickly
go the route of setting up different, ccTLD-specific names for your
nameserver to ensure that future changes require just 3 parties, you as
technical contact, the ccTLD admin as admin contact, and IANA.

It beats 3+N parties being involved, where N is the number of ccTLDs that
you have secondaried, plus it also eases future migration when you have a
secondaried ccTLD being the next hot thing in query rates.

Or you could hope that whoever processes your request at IANA doesn't
check for how many ccTLDs your nameserver has ;).

--
   Bruce.

   eg, ns-XX.ripe.net where XX is the ccTLD code.