v6 gluelessness

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Sat Jan 19 01:08:32 UTC 2008

Sticking up for IANA...

We've requested IANA add AAAA records for some of our TLD name
servers.  Following the same procedure as making any other change to
our delegation information we have had no surprises.  And the AAAA's
were added in a timely manner.

At 8:29 +0900 1/19/08, Randy Bush wrote:

>and please tell me why any of the tech and admin pocs of these cctlds
>should give a <bleep> what my server's actual ip address is.  isn't the
>dns specifically supposed to provide the level of indirection to obviate this?

It makes sense to me.  If I ask someone to slave my zone, I'm placing
(perhaps implicit) trust that they will operate the server in a
responsible way.  I don't have the prerogative  to tell the other
person how to run their server but I have the prerogative to withdraw
the slave request if I an unhappy with the way they operate the
server.  It makes sense to me that if you are operating a slave for
someone, they get to be notified of the changes you make before they
go into effect.

Even if it may take time to contact all the zones administrators.