An Attempt at Economically Rational Pricing: Time Warner Trial

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Jan 18 20:10:51 UTC 2008

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:

> Right.  And mobile phones, which you admit are more difficult to
> understand and manage, have clearly been a disastrous failure.  By your
> analogy, we should expect this to be a slightly less disastrous failure.
> (Would that Time Warner were so lucky. :)

No, it's easier to understand that by making a call where you're
physically abroad you're charged more. Otoh "unlimited wireless" plans are
common here and now people are discovering that if you're close to the
border of another country you're all of a sudden roaming and instead of
free wireless broadband, you're paying several dollars per megabyte
transferred (without you noticing it). This is not what people expect.

This is why some people really really want "tokens" or prepaid and then
have their account severely limited or shut off when their account is
"empty", instead of being charged per-usage without upper limit.

If the cheap flatrate broadband were to go away and be replaced by a
metered one, we as an industry need to figure out how to do billing in a
customer-friendly manner. We do not have much experience with this in many
markets.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se