An Attempt at Economically Rational Pricing: Time Warner Trial

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Fri Jan 18 20:52:15 UTC 2008

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> If the cheap flatrate broadband were to go away and be replaced by a metered
> one, we as an industry need to figure out how to do billing in a
> customer-friendly manner. We do not have much experience with this in many
> markets.

Caps/fair use plans are common in 20 out of 30 OECD countries.

Although Sweden and the USA may not have much experience with it, it
seems like other countries do have some experience.  And more than likely
the billing software vendors from other OECD countries would be more than
happy to expand into a new market like the USA.  Probably all you need to
do is call up your favorite networking vendor sales person and ask them
how do I do it. They probably already have a bunch of white papers and
stuff you can buy.

http://www.oecd.org/document/54/0,3343,en_2825_495656_39575670_1_1_1_1,00.html

Large enterprise users have had 95/5, avg, peak, etc Internet billing for
a decade.  Although I think all carrier's billing systems are deliberately
fubarred, it hasn't been an insurmountable problem.