Repotting report

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Mon Feb 4 21:11:01 UTC 2008

In a message written on Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 10:05:40PM +0100, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> Actually I get (almost?) always 10 As and 4 AAAAs from A and J running
> "VGRS4", C, D, E and F running BIND 9.3.2-P1 - 9.4.2 and G and I
> running unknown software. H, K and L run different versions of NSD and
> give me the 13 As and two AAAAs, as do B running BIND 8.4.1-REL and M
> running BIND 9.4.2 (?).

I'll go back to the part where I'm not a DNS expert. :)  I get 8
A's + 3 AAAA's in my attempts at a regular query.  Seems to be the
same across all servers that return AAAA's.  I'm using dig 9.5.0b2
for what it's worth.

> With EDNS0 the packet size increases to 615 bytes and they all serve
> up all glue records since about 30 minutes ago.

Actually, just to be sure I set my EDNS0 packet size to 1400.
However, I agree with your assessment, using EDNS0 I get 100% of
the answers from all 13 servers over IPv4, and from all 6 IPv6
capable servers over IPv6.

There are still a number of servers returning zero AAAA's when
queried with a regular query over both IPv4 and IPv6.