Repotting report

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Mon Feb 4 21:05:40 UTC 2008

On 4 feb 2008, at 19:36, Leo Bicknell wrote:

> In a standard query you're only going to get 3 AAAA records, EDNS0
> should allow for all of them.

Actually I get (almost?) always 10 As and 4 AAAAs from A and J running
"VGRS4", C, D, E and F running BIND 9.3.2-P1 - 9.4.2 and G and I
running unknown software. H, K and L run different versions of NSD and
give me the 13 As and two AAAAs, as do B running BIND 8.4.1-REL and M
running BIND 9.4.2 (?).

With EDNS0 the packet size increases to 615 bytes and they all serve
up all glue records since about 30 minutes ago.

> Rest assured, those who run root servers are paying very close
> attention today.

> I've already helped people fix two problems, both a result of ISP's
> filtering the RIR's micro-allocation blocks in ways they should not be
> doing.

:-)

I was expecting trouble because of truncated responses that need a
retry over TCP, but that doesn't happen, at least not with the dig
tool. So apparently firewalls aren't going to cause trouble after all.

And the new named.root has arrived:

ftp://rs.internic.net/domain/named.root