Gigabit Linux Routers

Marshall Eubanks tme at multicasttech.com
Thu Dec 18 11:51:07 UTC 2008

On Dec 18, 2008, at 4:13 AM, Jeroen Wunnink wrote:

> This might be of some use, it's a document written by one of the AMS-
> IX engineers, it's a little aged (almost 2 years old) so there
> should be some improvement in the numbers, but it might give you
> some insight in the bottlenecks when pushing a Linux server to it's
> max (10Gigabit in this case)
>
> http://noc.easycolocate.nl/10-GE_Routing_on_Linux.pdf

Note that this test did not involve full BGP. Given the problems that
used to occur on some name
brand routers when BGP took up too much CPU, I would be careful
extrapolating these results if you
are planning on running full BGP. As the paper itself says,
" In a real-world situation the device might be running BGP, with a full
routing table. This will surely affect the performance of the device."

Regards
Marshall