Gigabit Linux Routers

Alex Thurlow alex at blastro.com
Wed Dec 17 16:33:15 UTC 2008

Just as another source of info here, I'm running:

Dual Core Intel Xeon 3060 @ 2.4Ghz
2 Gb Ram (it says "Mem:   2059280k total,  1258500k used,   800780k
free,   278004k buffers" right now)
2 of these on the motherboard: Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation
82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06) (port-channel bonded to my
switch)
One other card with 2 ports: Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation
82573E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper) (rev 03)
Gentoo Linux with a fairly small kernel with FIB_TRIE enabled.

I'm taking in 2 full BGP feeds, a decent amount of iptables rules, and
I've hit 1.2 Gbps with no problems.  At this point, I just don't have
anything behind the router to push more than that.

--
Alex Thurlow
Blastro Networks

http://www.blastro.com
http://www.roxwel.com
http://www.yallwire.com

Chris wrote:
 > You've given me lots to think about ! Thanks for all the input so far.
 >
 > A few queries for the replies if I may. My brain is whirring.
 >
 > Chris: You're right and I'm tempted. I've almost had my arm twisted to go
 > down the proprietory route as I have some Cisco experience but have
become
 > pretty familiar with Quagga and tc.
 >
 > David: May I ask which NICs you use in the IBM boxes ? I see the Intels
 > recommended by Mike have dual ports on one board (the docs say "Two
complete
 > Gigabit Ethernet connections in a single device • Lower latency due
to one
 > electrical load on the bus").
 >
 > Patrick: That's what I was hoping to hear :) It's not the world's biggest
 > network.
 >
 > Michael: Thanks very much. We have three upstreams. I guess 2GB of
RAM would