Postmaster @ vtext.com (or what are best practice to send SMS these days)

David Coulson david at davidcoulson.net
Wed Apr 16 19:19:30 UTC 2008

In my experience, even with TAP, sending messages to a cell phone is
spotty at best. I have folks on both uni-directional pagers via TAP or
SNPP, as well as cell phones via e-mail and TAP. There isn't a
noticeable difference in delivery time between e-mail and TAP on the phones.

Cell to Cell is probably the best option if you want to stick with SMS
to cell phones. I have no idea how reliable it is between carriers. I
still get some comfort knowing that people have pagers with a TAP
gateway - I've no idea how the technology differs between a pager and
SMS, but it seems much more reliable. All of the pager problems I've had
in the last few years have been, erm, 'payment related'.