Good Stuff [was] Re: shameful-cabling gallery of infamy - does anybody know where it went?

Joe Abley jabley at ca.afilias.info
Wed Sep 12 12:36:45 UTC 2007

On 11-Sep-2007, at 1514, Justin M. Streiner wrote:

> Some of the local old-school Bell Atlantic/Verizon techs also did
> very clean work, but most of them took the early retirement
> packages that were offered 4-5 years ago.

This (the general subject of how to keep real-world cabinets tidy and
do cabling in a sane way) seems like an excellent topic for a NANOG
tutorial. I'd come, for sure :-)

When I worked on the ISP side of a phone company in New Zealand in
the early nineties the telco facilities techs did some beautiful
work, particularly on some very large copper distribution frames (for
strange regulatory reasons there was one very large class 5 switch at
this telco to service local access customers all over Auckland, with
result that almost the whole first floor of 49 Symonds Street was
built out as an enormous CO).

I once asked one of the telco guys to come and impart some cable
management clue to us, but didn't get very far. The bemused response
when we were both standing in front of the ISP racks was "but this is
IT gear. IT gear is always messy."

Joe