shameful-cabling gallery of infamy - does anybody know where it went?

Patrick Muldoon doon at inoc.net
Mon Sep 10 10:13:08 UTC 2007

On Sep 10, 2007, at 12:34 AM, Vinny Abello wrote:

> One of the stranger things a field tech of ours encountered wasn't
> necessarily bad wiring (although it's not great), but the fact that
> the demarc was located next to the toilet in the bathroom.
> Naturally, the constant humidity caused bad corrosion problems and
> other issues with their telco services. :) So as a general rule of
> thumb, avoid putting your telco and/or network gear next to the
> crapper or the services the equipment is meant to provide might
> also stink

I know of one ISP that had their local POP in a small rural town,
the bathroom of a local store, sitting on a shelf in rather close
proximity to the sink  (Sorry don't have pictures).  So Router, modem
bank and a couple T1's.  The kicker was they had it all plugged into
an extension cord that ran to another part of a back room.   More
than 1 time we (as the local telco) had to go out there cause they
where certain it was a problem with the Ts, When in fact someone had
either tripped over the power cord or unplugged it somehow.

-Patrick

--
Patrick Muldoon
Network/Software Engineer

NOTICE: alloc: /dev/null: filesystem full