Using Mobile Phone email addys for monitoring

Duane Waddle duane.waddle at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 21:27:09 UTC 2007

On 9/6/07, Rick Kunkel <kunkel at w-link.net> wrote:

[snip]

We've traditionally used mobile phone email addresses for system
> notifications, but over the past 6-12 months, it seems to have become
> increasingly sketchy.

[snip]

Is SMTP to a mobile phone a fundamentally flawed way to do this?

> Anyone else have any issues, past or present, with this kind of thing?

We tend to avoid the whole SMTP mess and deliver messages to mobiles and
pagers via a modem and the provider's TAP gateway.  It works quite well with
Verizon and AT&T/Cingular, but I've no experience with T-Mobile.  It also
avoids the whole mess of failing to alert when your monitoring box has a bad
NIC, cable, switchport, etc - of course considering that you trade those for
problems with a serial port, cable, modem, or phone line...  But it gives us
a big (and perhaps false) warm fuzzy that our alerting is 'out of band'
relative to our upstream Internet connections.

The folks at Avtech have a nice index of TAP gateway numbers at
http://www.avtech.com/Support/TAP/index.htm

Hope you find this useful...

--D