Interesting new dns failures

Tim Franklin tim at pelican.org
Mon May 21 21:12:27 UTC 2007

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

> Such is not my experience, and I strongly advise people against such
> stupidity.

Oh, I'd absolutely advise against it - but the branding people and the
lawyers typically think otherwise.

The case that gets a bit murky for me is genuinely multi-national
entities.  In *theory* that ought to be what .com is for, but
registering yourcompany.cc for every country where you have an operating
entity looks sort of legit.

(Yes, I've been asked to do this before.)

> But if we play to their ignorance, they'll *never* learn, will they?
>
> I don't have overmuch trouble getting people to understand microsys.us

Oh, if there's the slightest hint of interest in learning, I'll explain
- apologies if I implied otherwise.

Regards,
Tim.