Broadband routers and botnets - being proactive

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Tue May 15 23:53:52 UTC 2007

michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:
>> Addressing the complaint that my response to Gadi was too harsh, I can
>> only say
>> that, to someone who isn't aware of the history, my response may seem
>> harsh,
>
> I *AM* aware of the history and your response seems harsh. Especially so
> because you complained about a message which was about exploits in CPE
> access routers, not botnets. Any kind of router vulnerability/exploit is
> on topic for NANOG. And people who don't take the trouble to read
> messages and critique the message content, should not post to the list
> at all. We don't need you using NANOG to fight your personal flamewar
> with Gadi.

I don't see cpe as being all that different than hosts, except that
they're slower and less flexible.

The thing is it would be really nice to have some functional separation
between the business of this list which is operating a network, and the
security focused lists, and the botnet/phishing/spam lists, addressing
policy lists, the internet standards list, and so forth.

You and I and lots of other people on this list are on on many or all of
those sorts of lists. While cross-pollination is acceptable and in fact
desired dragging the business of one group of community interests in to
the domain of another is not appropriate.

In the particular case of Gadi, I resent the persistent grandstanding
and offers of assistance and assurances that's he's on the job. That's
essentially all advertising for his consulting business and I don't
think it's appropriate on this list. I for one do not flog the products
of my employer on this list, nor do you, or most other people who
participate.

I tolerate this sort of behavior  in the security arena (read  bugtrac
these days) though I resent the fact that it's de rigeur in the space
for many disclosures to essentially be advertising for the consultants
doing the work, virus updates are advertising for anti-virus companies etc.