Broadband routers and botnets - being proactive

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Wed May 16 00:11:43 UTC 2007

On Tue, May 15, 2007, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
> michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:
> >> Addressing the complaint that my response to Gadi was too harsh, I can
> >> only say
> >> that, to someone who isn't aware of the history, my response may seem
> >> harsh,
> >
> > I *AM* aware of the history and your response seems harsh. Especially so
> > because you complained about a message which was about exploits in CPE
> > access routers, not botnets. Any kind of router vulnerability/exploit is
> > on topic for NANOG. And people who don't take the trouble to read
> > messages and critique the message content, should not post to the list
> > at all. We don't need you using NANOG to fight your personal flamewar
> > with Gadi.
>
> I don't see cpe as being all that different than hosts, except that
> they're slower and less flexible.

I see them as more flexible - they don't have a CPE in front of them
potentially being a firewall, they can listen() on ports for p2p botnet
type action, and they can silently redirect your traffic to completely
different IPs or return bogus DNS info, they can see inside your home
network and be counted as "internal internet zone" to IE..

(perhaps not operational per-se, but pretty freaking scary.)

Adrian