Best practices for abuse@ mailbox and network abuse complaint handling?

Douglas Otis dotis at mail-abuse.org
Sun May 13 15:03:30 UTC 2007

On May 12, 2007, at 8:57 PM, K K wrote:

>> etc)  is
>> >
>> > Hey, leave abuse.net out of this, please.  It's just a database
>> of contact addresses.
>
> And it does a fine job at being a database of DOMAIN contact
> addresses, but  what abuse.net doesn't do is provide any
> information on NETWORK contacts, it will only look up names,  not
> IPs -- for those the victim need to be clueful enough to know what
> an ASN is and how to look up the ASN contact details...
>
> I was hoping that there would be someplace like abuse.net where we
> could register our IPs and ASN, so non-NANOGers could know to
> contact network-abuse@ when they think our network is attacking them?

Perhaps abuse.net could include links to:

http://www.cymru.com/BGP/asnlookup.html
http://www.completewhois.com/
http://www.routeviews.org/
etc.

The desire seems to be network operations are to remain unaffected by
spam sourced by the ASN.  Some view spam as a user problem, and not a
network management issue.  A resent paper published on ASRG on how to
operate a black-hole list excluded mention of ASNs.  The nature of
the Internet however requires more attention to the ASN.

>> Personally I generally report non-spam complaints to same abuse
>> designated mailbox (it is abuse after all) but also CC data from
>> abuse contacts from ASN whois.
>
> That's exactly the problem -- non-spam complaints end up going to
> the same abuse designated mailbox, but outside of NANOG nobody even
> knows what ASN stands for.

There is a reason for that.

-Doug