On-going Internet Emergency and Domain Names

Petri Helenius pete at he.iki.fi
Sat Mar 31 17:15:54 UTC 2007

Mattias Ahnberg wrote:
> They will adapt to any change like this we would try
> to do. The only real way to attempt to stop this is
> lobbying for legislation, nailing people for what we
> see around us and the damage they cause us and to
> make it risky business rather than the piece of cake
> it is today. Anything else is just a minor setback
> for them, and a HUGE deal of investment and money
> for "us" on top of what we already spend handling
> what we're exposed to.

I second this motion, I think the only way to make a step change for the
better is to seek and implement measures that make it more expensive and
challenging to be in the badware/phishing/spam business. These measures
should also hold their ground and push the problem into the backyards of
those who choose to ignore the crap they allow into the public network.

Unfortunately nothing to address this seriously exists today and I've
yet to identify serious effort to get this done. I'd be happy to be part
of such endeavour if one is going to be founded someday.

But I do believe it could be done. Even without "clean slate" daydreaming.

Pete