Level3 / Qwest routing issues earlier today?

David Hubbard dhubbard at dino.hostasaurus.com
Thu Jul 26 20:20:52 UTC 2007

From: Chris Riling

> Hi Guys,
>
>      Was anyone else seeing anything weird going on today? I
> have an OC-3 to Qwest, and another OC-3 to Level3, (among 2
> others to different providers) and when all was well, I was
> receiving a little over 221,000 prefixes from L3. Then,
> intermittently I would start losing prefixes from L3 and it
> would get down to a little over 220,000. When this happened,
> I noticed I was having intermittent connectivity issues
> (atleast to one IP I was trying to get to). Doing a
> traceroute during the "outage" the packets would hit Qwest's
> network, then L3's, then drop, or sometimes not. I have since
> admin downed my BGP peer to L3 and everything  has
> stabilized, but I was wondering if anyone else saw anything going on?

I think there was something going on between Qwest and L3,
I saw the same thing with traffic coming from a network I
have equipment on which is connected with Qwest and tracing
to our home AS which has L3 amongst others.  I set a
community for L3 to not advertise my prefixes to Qwest to
get around it.  It appears back to normal now though, I
just tested.

Dave