Cable-Tying with Waxed Twine

Scott Morris swm at
Thu Jan 25 00:47:43 UTC 2007

It's called cable lacing...  And CO guys have done it forever.  Looks really
pretty, but it's a pain in the butt to do.  :)  And sucks if you have to rip
a cable out to replace things.

Other than that, check out:



PS.  A really good pair of flush cuts (wire snips, but not the "diamond-cut"
ones) will help with the tie wraps too!

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanog at [mailto:owner-nanog at] On Behalf Of Dan
Mahoney, System Admin
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 7:30 PM
To: nanog at
Subject: Cable-Tying with Waxed Twine

Hey all,

This seems a wee bit off topic, but definitely relates to network operations
(somewhere below layer 1) and I can't think of a better place to ask.

Upon leaving a router at telx and asking one of their techs to plug in the
equipment for me, I came back to find all my cat5 cables neatly tied with
some sort of waxed twine, using an interesting looping knot pattern that
repeated every six inches or so using a single piece of string.  For some
reason, I found this trick really cool.

I have tried googling for the method, (it's apparently standard, I've seen
it in play elsewhere), and for the type of twine, but had little luck.  I
was wondering if any of the gurus out there would care to share what this
knot-pattern is actually called, and/or if there's a (illustrated) howto

-Dan "Tired of getting scratched up by jagged cable ties" Mahoney


--------Dan Mahoney--------
Techie,  Sysadmin,  WebGeek
Gushi on efnet/undernet IRC
ICQ: 13735144   AIM: LarpGM

More information about the NANOG mailing list