Cable-Tying with Waxed Twine

Dan Mahoney, System Admin danm at prime.gushi.org
Thu Jan 25 00:30:06 UTC 2007

Hey all,

This seems a wee bit off topic, but definitely relates to network
operations (somewhere below layer 1) and I can't think of a better place
to ask.

Upon leaving a router at telx and asking one of their techs to plug in the
equipment for me, I came back to find all my cat5 cables neatly tied with
some sort of waxed twine, using an interesting looping knot pattern that
repeated every six inches or so using a single piece of string.  For some
reason, I found this trick really cool.

I have tried googling for the method, (it's apparently standard, I've seen
it in play elsewhere), and for the type of twine, but had little luck.  I
was wondering if any of the gurus out there would care to share what this
knot-pattern is actually called, and/or if there's a (illustrated) howto
somewhere?

-Dan "Tired of getting scratched up by jagged cable ties" Mahoney