Internet Video: The Next Wave of Massive Disruption to the US Peer ing Ecosystem (v1.2)

William B. Norton bill.norton at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 19:21:48 UTC 2007

On 1/9/07, Fergie <fergdawg at netzero.net> wrote:
:
> Just as an observation, it appears to me (at least) that the
> most popular method of video distribution today is via GooTube. :-)
>
> I think it remains to be seen that that model will actually change
> dramatically to more of a "semi- real-time" model, regardless of
> the desires (or fears) of various vendors or operators.

Hmm...I should have been more clear. I'm comparing the options a video
guy has : buy transit to distribute the videos, buy CDN services, buy
a mix or transit and peering, or use P2P. I have sample configurations
and cost models for each, and cost them in units of $/video
distributed for side to side comparison.

>From the reviews and discussions it was interesting how entrenched and
enraged some people became when the p2p distribution model costed out
to be the cheapest by far:

Models	A:10 videos/5 min	B: 100/5min	C: 1000/5min
1: Transit	1A: $0.60
1B: $0.36
1C: $0.20

2: CDN	2A: $0.77