An informal survey... round II

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Fri Aug 31 00:20:27 UTC 2007

On Thu, Aug 30, 2007, Joel Jaeggli wrote:

> > Why should we announce tiny recycled blocks? If there is a /16 in the
> > swamp in which half the space is free but its all /24's, why wouldn't
> > wouldn't we allocate all the free /24's to a single entity and
> > instruct the entity to announce it as a "holey" /16? The existing /24
> > holders will override (punch holes in) the /16 for their /24's.
>
> And when they withdraw the more specific or you glop them together in
> your fib in the name of agregation a 3rd party gets all their traffic?
> I'm sure that will work really well.

Only the next hop. The game to play is "I want to dump traffic to a
neighboring AS who has more a chance of getting it to its relevant
destination." Partial routes (eg, filtering on say a /24 boundary
with a default route) already sort of gives you that.

(Of course, that game is a pain in the ass to play at times..)

Remember, BGP on the global internet isn't TE'ing "end to end".
You're actually hoping the next hop you have in your routing table ==
closer to the destination than you. :)

Adrian