Does anyone multihome anymore?

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Wed Aug 22 14:25:04 UTC 2007

At 10:11 AM 8/22/2007, Paul Kelly :: Blacknight Solutions wrote:
>Mike Tancsa wrote:
> >
> > At 03:49 AM 8/22/2007, Security Admin (NetSec) wrote:
> >
> >> Pardon my forwardness, but don't people just multi-home these days?
> >> If your
> >
> > Multihoming is great for when there is a total outage.  In the case of
> > Cogent on Monday, it wasnt "down"... In this case, there is only so much
> > you can do to influence how packets come back at you as BGP doesnt know
> > anything about a "lossy" or slow connections.
> >
> >         ---Mike
>
>Take the carrier that is causing you issues out of your eBGP setup and
>all's well....

Hi,
In my case, I have 6453 and 174 for transit.  I want to get to 577
which is directly connected to 6453 and 174. 577 has a higher local
pref on paths via 174.  Short of shutting my 174 session (or some
deaggregation), I dont have a way to influence how 577 gets back to
me.  I can easily exit out 6453, but it does nothing for the return
packets.  I have enough capacity on 6453 to handle all my traffic,
but its a Draconian step to take and some traffic via 174 is fine and
would be worse if I fully shut the session. (ie. peers of 174 in Toronto)

         ---Mike