Do I or RR need dns clue?

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Aug 16 15:25:53 UTC 2007

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 10:40:49 EDT, Tuc at T-B-O-H said:

> Mail to RR users is getting refused due to PTR issues. I contacted
> RR and explained that yea, one of our 2 DNS servers for the
> IN-ADDR.ARPA is down, but the other is fine.  They said that
> I should either get the DNS server back up (Which of course
> is already being worked on, was the minute it went down)
> or delete it from ARIN IN-ADDR.ARPA records.
>
> Isn't the whole point of multiple DNS servers that if one is down
> the other can still answer queries? Or am I missing something
> here???

Depends exactly what your "down" server is doing.  If it's totally not
answering, the resolver at RR should silently fall back and try the other one.

It gets more interesting if your "down" server is still answering queries,
particlylarly if it's giving out "I never heard of it" answers with the
authoritative bit set because it's blown out a zone.  In that case, the RR
resolver is within its rights to assume that your NS knows what it's talking
about and believing it.