[policy] When Tech Meets Policy...

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Mon Aug 13 23:45:49 UTC 2007

Ken Eddings wrote:
> At 4:32 PM -0400 8/13/07, Justin Scott wrote:
>>> Do people really not plan that far ahead, that they
>>> need brand new domain names to be active (not just
>>> reserved) within seconds?
>> I can say from my experience working in a web development environment,
>> yes.  I can recall several cases where we needed to get a domain online
>> quickly for one reason or another.  Usually it revolves around the
>> marketing department not being in-touch with the rest of the company and
>> the wrong/misspelled domain name ends up in a print/radio/tv ad that is
>> about to go to thousands of people and cannot be changed.  We end up
>> having to go get the name that is in the ad and get it active as quickly
>> as possible.
>
> Been there.  But it's rare enough in real life that I'd happily waive the right for full refund return for immediate domain publishing.  Maybe marketing would learn to spell after a few costly mistakes.
>
> Any other domain registrations getting a 3 day wait before publishing can have a more lenient return policy, maybe with a small processing fee.  That's not unreasonable, and has something for the registrars.
>
> And grandma would be able to correct her typo, and the regstrars would have time to check grandma's credit card, since she's so typo-prone.

I am not sure if this is what you are saying, but here is what just came to mind:

2 choices, same price:

1. instant, no refund.
2. 3 day hold, not active, but refundable till the point it goes live.

I also just noticed something that doesn't seem to have been brought up:  by
registering, wait, refund, repeat - you can sit on a name for free. (under both
current and my proposed.)  To prevent this we need a small processing fee.

Carl K