IP Block 99/8 (DHS insanity - offtopic)

J. Oquendo sil at infiltrated.net
Mon Apr 23 18:40:31 UTC 2007

Marcus H. Sachs wrote:
> If we had "clean" registries and signed/verifiable advertisements this would
> not be an issue.  Most of you know that DHS was pushing the Secure Protocols
> for the Routing Infrastructure initiative
> (http://www.cyber.st.dhs.gov/spri.html).  Due to budget cuts this program is
> on the shelf for now.  However, we are still interested in making it happen.
>
> I think that the discussion about 7.0.0.0/24 several days ago could also
> have been avoided if we had already implemented some of the SPRI ideas.
>
> Marc

Out of utter curiousness (not arrogance)... Why in the world should the
DHS be given control to the routing infrastructure when they can't even
secure their own networks.

//QUOTE//

“They will exploit anything and everything,” an official with the Naval
Network Warfare Command told Federal Computer Week (FCW) on condition of
anonymity.

More recently, Major General William Lord told Government Computer News
in August 2006 that China has downloaded 10 to 20 terabytes of data from
DoD’s main network, NIPRNet.
//END QUOTE//

http://www.scmagazine.com/uk/news/article/634401/chinese-hackers-waging-cyberwar-us/

I could instantly slap together about 10 links within the past 2 weeks
of these same things occurring over and over within the government...

I fail to see how/why DHS being in the middle of this would have helped.
I can't count how many times I've attempted to contact someone in the
DoD in referenced to compromised hosts and it seems one hand didn't
know what the other hand was doing and in almost 80% of my contact
attempts, no response was ever given...

So as a network operator who needs something done now, you expect
someone to go through the bureaucracy of the US government to get
something resolved? I think one could watch watch 5 coats of paint
dry faster.

Not only that, all you need is just that ONE instance where "hackers
owned our infrastructure" and we'll be in a much worse place then we
are in now. That is of course someone is fibbing in attempts to get
more money... "Hackers owned NIPR we need a new strategic plan to
get back at them. Send us $30 million"... No thanks keep these keys
away from ANY government body.

J. Oquendo
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1383A743
echo infiltrated.net|sed 's/^/sil@/g'

"Wise men talk because they have something to say;
fools, because they have to say something." -- Plato