IP Block 99/8

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Sat Apr 21 09:08:58 UTC 2007

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007, Marcus H. Sachs wrote:
> If we had "clean" registries and signed/verifiable advertisements this would
> not be an issue.  Most of you know that DHS was pushing the Secure Protocols
> for the Routing Infrastructure initiative
> (http://www.cyber.st.dhs.gov/spri.html).  Due to budget cuts this program is
> on the shelf for now.  However, we are still interested in making it happen.

The grass is always greener, which is closely related to don't watch
sausage being made.

Telephone numbers are over 50 years old, but routing of telephone numbers
isn't actually verifiable either especially with some international
destinations.

Almost all multi-organizational identity systems have this problem.  If
you can't trust the organizations involved, more math isn't going to help.