DHCPv6, was: Re: IPv6 Finally gets off the ground

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Tue Apr 17 02:55:32 UTC 2007

Stephen Sprunk wrote:

> Thus spake "Jeroen Massar" <jeroen at unfix.org>
>> But for the rest it all seems pretty fine to me...
>>
>> or do you mean that those ibahn things see "NOERROR" and
>> then no answers, thus wrongly cache that as label has 0 answers
>> at all? or what I mention above with the redirect?
>
> They do the same thing for requests that don't involve a CNAME, so
> they're either choking on the AAAA query or a NOERROR response in
> general; it's hard to tell which since I can only see one side of their
> box.  I also don't know how they react when you try to contact a site
> that _does_ have AAAA records, since no major content site has them
> (which is a whole 'nother discussion).

Wellps, we have www.ipv6experiment.com of course where the actual
content site soon will point to 2001:4978:0:0:0:0:B00:B1E5 :)

/me wonders how many spam/corpfirewalls etc will like that sentence, but
hotels won't have much of an issue with that I guess, it's one of the
reasons for their existence...

> What's weird is that they don't just return a 0-record NOERROR when you
> do the follow-up A query, which would be the most logical failure mode
> -- they return an authoritative answer of 0.0.0.1 instead.

Ick. These folks really need a clue batting don't they?

> Of course, dealing with idiot consumers on a regular basis, their tech
> support folks insist the problem is on the user's machine and that it's
> a bug in their v6 stack, despite Ethereal captures showing the bad DNS
> response packets coming from their box...

Argh, I can sort-of understand their way of handling it, but still, they
should have fixed this by now, and their clear broken DNS is simply a
real reason to avoid those hotels at all.

Can somebody please sponsor a trip to any of these hotels for either two
or both of the Pauls, that is Mockapetris or Vixie, and let THEM call
techsupport on this!? :) At least the "eh dude, I kinda like (invented
DNS|coded BIND) and I really do think I sort of know what I am talking
about" discussion would be worth a "extremely priceless" rating and a
good laugh for the coming years for most of the Ops community :)

Remember kids: never leave home without a well known IP address where
all kinds of obvious ports run your favorite tunneling mechanism :)
[443 seems to be very popular for that nowadays it seems...]

Long live tunnels and own infra!

Greets,
 Jeroen

--