DHCPv6, was: Re: IPv6 Finally gets off the ground

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Tue Apr 17 02:12:38 UTC 2007

Thus spake "Jeroen Massar" <jeroen at unfix.org>
> But for the rest it all seems pretty fine to me...
>
> or do you mean that those ibahn things see "NOERROR" and
> then no answers, thus wrongly cache that as label has 0 answers
> at all? or what I mention above with the redirect?

They do the same thing for requests that don't involve a CNAME, so they're
either choking on the AAAA query or a NOERROR response in general; it's hard
to tell which since I can only see one side of their box.  I also don't know
how they react when you try to contact a site that _does_ have AAAA records,
since no major content site has them (which is a whole 'nother discussion).

What's weird is that they don't just return a 0-record NOERROR when you do
the follow-up A query, which would be the most logical failure mode -- they
return an authoritative answer of 0.0.0.1 instead.

Of course, dealing with idiot consumers on a regular basis, their tech
support folks insist the problem is on the user's machine and that it's a
bug in their v6 stack, despite Ethereal captures showing the bad DNS
response packets coming from their box...

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov