Thoughts on increasing MTUs on the internet

Joe Maimon jmaimon at ttec.com
Sun Apr 15 02:06:45 UTC 2007

Simon Leinen wrote:

> * Current Path MTU Discovery doesn't work reliably.
>
>   Please, let's wait for these more robust PMTUD mechanisms to be
>   universally deployed before trying to increase the Internet MTU.

I think this is the proper summary of where we are at: Trying to restore
one of the original design goals of ipv4 -- reliable internetworking of
different MTU sized networks.

But the waiting game doesnt work, act local and think global.

> * IP assumes a consistent MTU within a logical subnet.
>
>   This seems to be a pretty fundamental assumption, and Iljitsch's
>   original mail suggests that we "fix" this.

This is an implementation detail, since local IP nodes have no
conception of remote IP nodes subnet detals.