Blocking mail from bad places

Matthew Black black at csulb.edu
Wed Apr 4 21:34:21 UTC 2007

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 08:46:33 -0700
  Ken Simpson <ksimpson at mailchannels.com> wrote:
[...snip]
> Captchas apparently help quite a bit to stem this kind of problem
> because they install a technical barrier that, while not impossible to
> break through programatically, at least delays things a bit and
> reduces the ROI for the spammer.
>
> Regards,
> Ken
>
> --
> Ken Simpson, CEO
> MailChannels Corporation
> Reliable Email Delivery (tm)
> http://www.mailchannels.com

Captchas are all fine and dandy but they are not ADA compliant
and certainly a no-no for government or public agencies. Don't
believe me? Accessibility issues (Section 508) will be the next
Y2K obstacle for IT folks because all of our future software
purchases require that the software is accessible. Within the
next 18 months we'll have to provide a VPAT
[example: http://www.section508.nasa.gov/vpat3.htm] for all
software purchases. If your company doesn't know about these
yet kiss goodbye to all your government customers.

As for catching spam and viruses we gave up on open-source
solutions a long time ago in favor of IronPort appliances.
These products negate almost 100% of your effort in maintaining
greylists or rulesets. You have plenty of choices out there with
very different approaches and you can bet the top-tier companies
like MailChannels, IronPort, and Mirapoint (among others) have
something to make your life easier.

matthew black
network services
california state university, long beach