[Fwd: RE: Kremen VS Arin Antitrust Lawsuit - Anyone have feedback?]

Joe Abley jabley at ca.afilias.info
Mon Sep 11 18:24:45 UTC 2006

On 11-Sep-2006, at 13:44, Chris Jester wrote:

> Also, what about ARINS hardcore attitude making it near impossible
> to aquire ip space, even when you justify it's use?  I have had
> nightmares myself as well as MANY of my collegues share similar
> experiences.

I have talked to many people who have not taken the time to read the
appropriate policy documents or supply adequate documentation who
have had terrible difficulty getting resources assigned from all the
RIRs, not just ARIN.

I have never yet met anybody who has followed the procedures (and who
meets the criteria within the policy) who hasn't received exactly the
resources they asked for. Actually, that's not true -- I know of
several people who have received more than they asked for, since the
RIRs in question noticed that the original request contained
sufficient justification for a larger allocation.

Perhaps by "ARINS [sic] hardcore attitude" you mean their insistence
that the policy be followed? My opinion on that is "Good Work, ARIN".

While my experience is mainly with APNIC and ARIN, it's not obvious
to me that the other RIRs are substantially more difficult to deal with.

> I am having an issue right now with a UNIVERSITY in Mexico tryin to
> get
> ip's from the mexican counterpart. Why is it that they involve
> lawyers,
> ask you all your customers names and etc...

You might advise the university in question to seek the help of
someone who has actually read the policy documents (or to read them
themselves -- the ARIN number resource policy manual, for example, is
written in very straightforward language).

Joe