[Fwd: RE: Kremen VS Arin Antitrust Lawsuit - Anyone have feedback?]

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Mon Sep 11 18:26:11 UTC 2006

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006, Chris Jester wrote:

> IP addresses appear to be property - - read http://news.findlaw.com/
> hdocs/docs/cyberlaw/kremencohen72503opn.pdf.  Given that domain names
> are property, IP addresses should be property, especially in
> California where are constitution states "All things of value are
> property"

Intrinsic or non-intrinsic value?  It's an important distinction.

> Also, what about ARINS hardcore attitude making it near impossible
> to aquire ip space, even when you justify it's use?  I have had
> nightmares myself as well as MANY of my collegues share similar experiences.
> I am having an issue right now with a UNIVERSITY in Mexico tryin to get
> ip's from the mexican counterpart.

I worked for a large-ish ISP for over seven years and made multiple
requests for IP space from ARIN in that time.  My experience with this was
not at all bad.  I did not find it to be like pulling teeth to get the
space.  As long as the request documentation is in order, it was not too
bad.

I disagree with the notion that IP addresses are property.

jms