Collocation Access

Frank Coluccio frank at dticonsulting.com
Tue Oct 24 13:30:27 UTC 2006

Most list members here will probably find difficulty fathoming this, but during
the Cold War years of the Nineteen Sixties, many telco employees, depending on
the type of work they were engaged in, were actually issued government "Civil
Defense" ID's for the purpose of gaining access to their workplaces and for
transit to contingency assignments during natural disasters and acts of war. Long
Lines staff and local operating company switching and transmission staff were
given high priority in those days. I'm not sure exactly when, but I think the
practice was suspended around 1968-9, or so.

Do you suppose that telecoms and Internet is critical enough to the nation's
infrastructure today that it should carry this level of regard by government?
Say, qualified personnel working in critical sectors be issued "Homeland
Security" ID's? Would such ID's issued by Homeland Security satisfy the clearance
requirements for gaining access to collocation centers?

On Tue Oct 24  8:51 , "David Schwartz"  sent: