Collocation Access

Mike Hughes mike at smashing.net
Tue Oct 24 10:35:49 UTC 2006

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006, Roland Perry wrote:

> Sounds to me like NSTAC ought to be worried about a scheme to accredit co-lo
> operator security staff, as well as the visiting telco engineers.

Certainly in the UK, the co-lo security staff employed at Telehouse Europe
are properly accredited and licensed by the UK SIA -
http://www.the-sia.org.uk/home - and have to visibly wear their SIA
license card while on duty (along with their company ID).

Telehouse's access and security procedures seem to just work these days,
certainly from my experience. So, training and accreditation seems to
have worked here.

I don't know if other co-lo's in the UK comply to this, as in some cases,
if the "front door" security is often being provided by a NOC tech rather
than a dedicated guard so then there is probably some get out anyway.

Cheers,
Mike